Sunday, August 17, 2014

Reverse Culture Shock

Thanks to my generous parents, I was able to fly back to the U.S. last week for a family reunion. I was excited, but also nervous to go back to the states; it's been 10 months since we moved to Beijing and I didn't know what to expect on my first trip back.

When I landed in Chicago and stepped outside, the first thing I noticed was the air. It was so clean and fresh, with clouds and blue skies. The second thing I noticed: outrageous food prices. A banana cost nearly $1 (I pay that same amount for three of them in Beijing) and a bottle of water was $2 (typically $0.30 in China).

'Merica: Blue skies, clean air and turquoise water. Yes, please. 

After 48 hours of some major shopping in Nashville, my family drove to Rosemary Beach, Fla., to meet up with my aunts, uncles and grandmother. I wanted my arrival to be a surprise to the extended family, but thanks to the loud mouths of my mom and sister, the surprise wasn't really a surprise, except to my 90-year-old grandmother. She came out and tears filled her eyes, as she saw me there and realized I'd traveled all the way from China to see her. It was a beautiful moment.

Grandma, 90 years young, surprised when I showed up in Florida.

Throughout the week, I found some people to be really loud and obnoxious. I think part of it was because I could actually understand snippets of their conversations. My friend Brittany had mentioned this observation during her recent trip back to the U.S.: there's something blissful about not understanding people's conversations when walking by them here in China. It was jarring to overhear a woman talking about her latest hair dye job and a man lamenting about his A/C bill.

Gotta practice my driving when I can: Behind the wheel of my brother-in-law's giant truck. 

It was also strange seeing signs all in English and wide, open spaces. I couldn't help but think how the Chinese would stack apartments upon apartments in areas that were people's front yards. Walking down the street and not bumping into people was refreshing, as were the cars that actually stopped for you as you crossed the road.

At the same time, some people seemed arrogant. One day at the beach, a couple made the umbrella attendant set up a slew of chairs, only to later move because they weren't close enough to their friends. Another day I got into an argument with a guy at a gas station who claimed I'd banged into his car with my car door. I hadn't, only tapping it slightly because of tight parking spaces. The man proceeded to take a picture of my license plate and hauntingly told me his insurance company would take it up with me. When I asked to see what damage I had caused he pointed to a paint chip about the size of an ant. For all I know, the minuscule chip could've been there before our encounter.

Cousin love.

At the end of my week in the U.S., I realized there are pros and cons to every place. Below, a few of the key differences I observed on my first trip back.

Where the U.S. shines:

1. Clean air. My lungs felt fresh again.
2. Natural foods. Kale, almond milk, Kind bars. I was in heaven.
3. Attentive drivers. Crossing at a crosswalk and cars waiting? Wow!
4. Greenery. It's everywhere and it's beautiful.
5. Meat. Choice cuts, no sinewy strands that make flossing an all-out affair.
6. Desserts. Nothing can beat chocolate fondue or a toffee chocolate gooey brownie with ice cream on top.

Where China wins:

1. Courteous and friendly flight attendants. The U.S. ones seemed brash and careless compared to Asian service.
2. Food prices and no tipping. Spent $32 on lunch with my mom, and then had to tip. In China, I would've gotten a similar lunch for at least half that price.
3. Movies. Even new releases can be bought for about $2 at DVD stores. The price of a movie ticket in Florida: $10.
4. Chopsticks. I've really grown fond of them and in some instances, they're much more useful than a fork and knife.
5. Cheap taxis. Grand total to get back to my home from the airport: $15. That's less than a one-way bus ticket from Chicago Midway to O'Hare.
6. Bargaining. Oh, I can't wrangle with you over the price of that shirt? Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment